Summary: Every year weight loss tops the list of New Year resolution of many people. If you are one of them, practice these 5 yoga asanas for weight loss.
No one likes to carry too much weight. It feels uncomfortable and is hazardous for the health. The desire to embrace a well-toned body isn’t just limited to personality benefits but is inclined more towards health rewards.
The Health Benefits of Healthy Weight Loss:
- Decreased risk of diabetes
- Less pressure on joints thus extending their life
- Reduced back pain
- Controlled blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- When blood flows optimally, heartbeats are proper
The Lifestyle Benefits of Weight Loss:
- More active social lifestyle
- Better sleep patterns
- Enhanced vitality
- Improved body image and mood.
For reaping all the health and lifestyle rewards of weight loss, it is imperative that you shed your flab in a natural and healthy manner. Only with the ideal weight loss program, you can lose unwanted fat from desired body parts without comprising on the health. When it comes to weight loss coupled with body-mind wellness, yoga is the viable practice to adopt. The practice of yoga helps in reducing stress, the leading cause of weight gain. During the performance of yoga poses, every muscle of the body gets a stretch that is otherwise neglected triggering weight loss on a holistic level. And, as you delve in mental and spiritual yoga practices like meditation, reading of Sutras, breathing exercises, you develop a serene mindset a heightened consciousness enabling you to make choices in the welfare of your body.
Five Yoga Asanas to Practice for Weight Loss:
1. The Raised Leg Pose (Utthanpadasana): Lie on the floor in Savasana (Corpse Pose). Please keep your legs and arms straight, head in a front direction, and spine erect. Slowly, slide the hands underneath with your hips in contact with the back of the palms. Start lifting both your legs up in synchronization with the breathing. First, uplift the legs to 30-degrees from the floor, then 60-degrees, and finally position them at 90-degree angle from the floor. Remember to keep breathing during the practice. Hold the leg at each mark for five breaths before advancing to the next level. Keep the knees unbent.
Benefits: The pose is beneficial for the abdomen and back. It stretches the thoracic cavity.
2. Bow Pose (Dhanurasana): While on a yoga mat with your stomach facing the floor, place your chin on the ground. Upon exhalation, bend your knees and bring your legs up and closer to the hips. Stretch both your arms behind to grab the ankles. Hold right ankle with the right hand and left ankle with the left hand. Inhale, slowly rise up, pulling your ankles up, and uplifting the thighs off the floor. Simultaneously, elevate the chest above the ground. Your body weight should solely rest on the abdomen. Tilt your head back as far as possible. Feel the stretch. Exhale, bring the thigh down and release the ankles. Lie in the initial position.
Benefits: The bow pose is regarded as one of the best yoga poses for weight loss. It stretches and increases blood flow to the abdominal area. Helps keep the practitioner in shape and gives flexibility to the spine.
3. Seated Forward Bend Pose (Paschimottanasana): Sit on a yoga mat with your hips supported on a folded blanket. Keep the legs straight and strong in front of you, palms near the hips. Press the hands into the floor to lift up the sternum towards the sky. Inhale keeping the front torso long, bend forward from the hips. Maintain the spine length in the forward bend. Take the sides of your feet with the hands, thumbs resting on the soles. Keep the elbows fully unbent; if this isn’t possible, loop a strap around the feet and hold it in your hands. With each inhalation, lift up the torso and with each exhalation fold forward deeply.
Benefits: Forward folds improves digestion, stimulates liver and kidneys, and help cures obesity.
4. Upward Plank Pose (Purvottanasana): Sit in a Staff Pose (Dandasana) with your hands resting several inches behind the hips. Place the feet on the ground, with knees bent and heels at least a foot away. Exhale, lift the hips up from the floor and bring your body into a reverse table-top position (torso and thighs parallel to the floor, shins, and arms perpendicular to the ground). Straighten your legs one at a time. Raise your hips as high as possible.
Benefits: The pose stretches and strengthens the body area giving it a toned look.
5. Downward-Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana): Start on your fours. Spread the fingers of the palms. With breathing, curl the toes inward, lift the knees off a yoga mat, and stretch the legs behind. Come into an inverted ‘V’ position, with your head between the upper arms and eyes fixed at the navel. Keep the hips elevated.
Benefits: Downward Dog Pose is both a strengthening and stretching asana. It keeps you healthy and in shape.
With yoga, lose weight from inside out. Start the journey today and manifest a toned body lifelong.