Until the 1930s suntans were not considered fashionable. They turned into a sign of radiance and health when Coco Chanel developed a great looking sun tan while cruising abroad in 1940s.
Soon the fashion world scrambled to follow her lead encouraging people to have suntan until the link to skin cancer emerged in 1990. But this did not stop people from aiming at the suntan look. The tanning salons evolved as a result of the search for a healthy, safe and quick tanning process.
If you are thinking of frequenting a California tanning salon, here are some tips to make your experience a pleasant, healthy and successful one.
During the Session
- If you opt for the self-tanning method it is best to use gloves to avoid having your hands look more browner, when compared to other body parts
- Don’t forget to exfoliate before you begin a tanning process. This helps in getting a smooth tan all over. If you choose a California tanning salon and opt for airbrush tan, the exfoliation will be done the salon itself.
- It is best to avoid jewelry, makeup, deodorant and other beauty products you use when you go for a tanning process.
- The tanning bottle solution should be rubbed hard to avoid large and unsightly streaks. The type of product you choose also influences how smooth the tan is.
- Wear loose fitting clothes and shoes to prevent the tan from coming in contact with your clothes and being rubbed off
- Wait for the tan to develop fully before you touch water. Washing up Immediately after a California tanning salon session is not recommended.
- The swimsuits or other garments that you wear to the tanning salon should be darker in color
- Dress down as far as your comfort level allows.
- Style your hair so it does not cover your neck or face. Use hair tie or clips to hold the hair back from your neck and face.
After the Session
Preserving the tan should be your first consideration after the session. Here is what you should take care of.
- Continue with your loose fitting clothing for 12 hours to allow the tan to develop unhindered.
- If it is raining use an umbrella or the tan will be washed off.
- Wash only after the 12 hour period. Use moisturizing and mild shower gel and apply with your hands.
- While showering don’t be alarmed at seeing the color wash off, the tan will be developed underneath.
- Don’t rub your skin dry. Instead use a towel and pat dry.
- Some of the beauty and skin care products you use can induce faster fading of the tan. Products such as alcohol-based astringents and toners, acne cleansers and bar soaps should be avoided.
- Don’t use products that trigger exfoliation like BHA, AHA or Retin-A.
- Use a moisturizer on the skin just after you shower. It should be done on damp skin and twice daily for a week.
And remember to wear sunscreen while your fake tan lasts. Although it is a tan, it does not protect you from the UV rays emitted by the sun.